Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Week in S. Korea


Seoul S. Korea skyline- "Seouls population zoomed from fewer than 3 million people in 1960 to 10 million in 2000. South Korea went from being one of the poorest countries to being richer than some in Europe" according to National Geographic magazine Dec 2011.

Looking at pictures of Seoul's skyline on the Ipad while looking at pictures of the inside of Seoul apts. in the Nat Geo Magazine (Dec 2011 issue)

Some great fiction books we read related to S. Korea are:

A great story full of suspense with a happy ending. New Cat was a HUGE hit with all my littles. I am sad this is out of print or we might add it to our collection. This book did start a conversation on what Soy is and why we do not eat it (no offense to those that do.) WE also watched some great soy factory videos on youtube.



A cute Korean Folktale about frogs who disobey their mother and always do the opposite of what she says.


A fun story about making Bee Bim Bop, with a recipe.

Our Homeschool group studied S. Korea this month.

Here are some yummy Korean goodies brought for all to try and some assorted Korean items as well as a 3d board.



One of Robin's friends doing a Korean dance with fans.

Falcon spoke about the Korean war and Robin and I talked about the the 3 books listed above. I also read the Korean folktale and then shouted out orders to children to see if they would do as I say or be naughty green frogs.

Studying S. Korea was so fun we tasted some great food went to an authentic Korean restaurant (read my blog post about it) visited 2 Asian grocery stores (we bought some asian goodies too!)and learned a lot.

5 comments:

Mommy Minded said...

How fun! I am going to have to borrow some ideas! I love the comment you left me. Made me laugh this morning!

MommyKuehner said...

It was wonderful!!! I don't think I want to live there...but it was still fun to learn about!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time of learning!!

MiaB said...

What a great way to learn about a country... so much fun!! I'm your newest follower and would love it if you could share it here -

http://www.mamamiasheart2heart.com/2012/01/sharing-saturday.html

Thanks so much and have a great weekend.

~MiaB

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Love all your Korea crafts! The stories you read look great too - I am going to put a hold in our local library for them!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! See you next week,
Beth =-)