Friday, September 7, 2012

Homeschool Mothers Journal

 
In our homeschool this week
With my little ones we worked on the Five on  a Row Story "Wee Gillis" you can read about what we did here.
 
We went on a tour through a candy factory with our homeschool group. That was a lot of fun!
 
We also started our Animal Adventures monthly zoo sketching event. I started it last year and wasn't very organized but this year I am much more organized with the event. I have already planned out all the animals we will be doing sketch's of all year.
Our 3 ring zoo folders and matching pencil cases. The kids used fabric markers to add names and decorate their pencil bags and decorated the outside of their folders with zoo animals. What we do is bring clipboards and printer paper to the zoo then when we come home we use a 3 hole puncher and add it to their folder.
Falcon's is on the top right Robin's is at the bottom. The little boys didn't really understand the idea of sketching so when we came home I  printed out some pages for them to color. I asked them to remember what the elephant looked like and color it the right color. Then I asked them to add some things to the picture that they saw the elephants doing. They each drew some hay that the elephants were walking on and eating. I think I will bring printables of the animals for the little boys and try and encourage coloring it lifelike colors and possibly adding other items they see from the animals environment.
 
 
I was unable to get action shots of all this kids sketching because Falcon left the camera in the car. All the children cam prepared with an interesting fact to share about the subject we were sketching. Robins fact was that elephants have over 100,000 muscles in their trunks. Someone else shared the fact that elephants can abort their own fetuses up to 1 month before delivery.
 
Game Time
Coffee and Uno anyone?
One morning while enjoying my Starbucks iced Capp that my wonderful husband brought home for me. My children asked to play Uno, so at 7:30 in the morning I sat on the floor with my kids and played Spongbob Uno.
 
Another game we played this week was Isolation, it is  a real fun 2 player strategy game, you can read about it here on board Game Geek,.speaking of Board Games as a  fellow homeschool mom/dad reading this you should know of this awesome website. You can look up any game and find out  all about it by hard core gamers that like a challenge not these silly little chance type games that teach children no critical thinking and strategy skills.I LOVE LOVE LOVE this website. It has saved me a ton of money by reading reviews
 
 
I Am reading
I have FINALLY finished reading through the 50 Shades series. It was okay not as good as I expected, but I did expect more story and less.....ah em... other stuff.
I am now reading
It's a fantasy based teen novel that I picked up at the grocery store one night. So far it's pretty good.
 
I’m cooking
Lots of Oatmeal and oatmeal based foods to go along with the Five In a Row book Wee Gillis that we were rowing this week.
 
Fun crime scene photo to share.
Look at all the dead bodies in my driveway. The kids have been having fun doing chalk outlines in our driveway lately. I told Falcon that they used to do chalk outlines of people when they died to try and solve homicides. He wanted to know why and how it helped so he went inside to google it. All he came back with was that they do not do chalk outlines anymore because it would contaminate the scene. So they take pictures now.
 

3 comments:

MommyKuehner said...

lol...love the game thing. I can't drink coffee, but was drinking caffeinated tea trying to stay awake and play Carmen Sandiego USA with Lydia the other night. That and Franklin goes to School. Good week....I am getting excited about Rowing with the girls next week.

Kym said...

LOL at the games and at the crime scene in your driveway! Cute!

Amy W Thornton said...

I love the sketches of the elephants. It looks like you have some budding artists there. Thanks for sharing and for linking up with NOBH. Smiles!