Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Home Decor brought to you by Goodwill and my kids.

So I have been really wanting to add more yellows and oranges into our home decor. While reading the Before Five In A Row book Jesse Bear I came up with the idea to have the kids paint 5x7 pictures of water animals ( They point out in the story  Jesse Bear that water animals are used as home decor in the bathroom.)

Robin and Duck got out some ocean books and decided what the wanted to paint.
Duck working on his shark.

Then we went to Goodwill to pick out some neat looking  5x7 frames we could paint. They didn't have any really neat ones with the  molding on the side like I wanted so we got  some plan old wooden 5x7 frames for .75 cent each.
I was hoping to find frames like this, but no luck. I will keep my eyes open for future projects.

I decided on yellow  for the frames

Duck painting, notice his bright orange gun? You never know when you might need to defend yourself.

Speed drying the frames with the blow dryer, notice Duck brought his gun with him?

Duck needed 3 coats of paint, Robin 4 because hers was a darker wood.

It took about 1 hour to  paint 3-4 coats blow drying in between.

What I loved most about using the dryer was being able to have them hung up on the wall in just under 2 hours for the whole project. It was a great project  to do on a day the kids were feeling icky with a cold.

Here are the finished pictures on our bathroom wall. I think I want to add 1 or 2 more pictures above those two. As an extra added educational bonus I had the kids add a fact about the animal they chose and I wrote it out on their picture.

Close up 
I really tried to convince one one the kids to do a bright yellow goldfish, but neither was interested, that way I would have had my orange and yellow.

1 comment:

MommyKuehner said...

That is great!!! I love that!!!